Search this Blog

Followers

About

My photo
Lowell, Michigan, United States
Dogs were born to run. I wasn't, but I do it anyway. :)

Disco Run

posted by Andrew 11 March 2007

I forgot to mention earlier that on Thursday morning I went running with Haven; yes this was the same day that I also did some speedwork on the treadmill. It was a calm but chilly 10 degrees, with clear skies allowing the moonlight to help add some glow to the darkness.

Because of this darkness I recently bought a little Bling Bling Blinker for Haven to make her easily visible to any traffic. I've already had my own headlamp and taillight, but our dogs deserve a similar measure of safety. We bought the blue one, which blinks an alternating blue and white light.

These lights are bright and flash very rapidly, giving the effect of a strobe light at a disco. If you ever take one of these into a dark closet and turn it on I bet you'd have a seizure! Luckily out on the road there was enough other ambient light (the moon, my headlamp) to soften the effect of the hyper strobe, plus the openness of the outdoors reduces the amount of reflection.

Haven didn't seem to mind at all except when trying to navigate the dark garage with just her seizure light for illumination. Now we're all set - I'm lighted, she's lighted, the Just-a-Cinch leash is reflective. It's hard to get up that early for running, but it sure feels good sitting at work in the morning, recovering from a nice run with my dog.

0 comments

Labels