Search this Blog

Followers

About

My photo
Lowell, Michigan, United States
Dogs were born to run. I wasn't, but I do it anyway. :)

180 Steps Per Minute

posted by Andrew 08 March 2007

An article in the latest Runner's World mentioned that all elite runners who compete at distances from 5K to marathon run at a cadence of about 180 steps per minute. Interesting.

Today on the treadmill I tried this out - an easy method is to count just my left foot for six seconds, then multiply by 20; e.g. if my left foot strikes nine times in six seconds, that's 180 spm (steps per minute). Warming up at a 9:00 pace my cadence was 140 spm. I upped it to 180 but that didn't feel right; maybe 9:00 is too slow for my long legs.

I bumped it up to an 8:00 pace and settled into about 160 spm. Then I upped it to 180 spm and sure enough, it felt pretty good - quick, but easy. However, my plan for the day was speedwork so after five minutes of warming up, I throttled up to a 6:00 pace. I maintained it for six minutes - that means I ran a six-minute mile in the middle of a workout! Yep, cool beans.

What I noticed was that to run that fast, I was striding at 180 spm without even thinking about it. In fact, anything 7:30 pace and faster and I was naturally doing 180 spm. After recovering a bit, I then tried a 5:30 pace. I only held that for two minutes but I found myself striding 190-200 spm - perhaps that means that a 5:30 pace is too fast for me to run aerobically? Such a fast turnover probably uses too much of my inefficient fast-twitch muscles.

Slowing back down to an 8:00 pace, without thinking I settled into a 180 spm rhythm so I think my legs like that cadence once they've locked into it. It truly did feel comfortable. I still couldn't maintain that turnover at 9:00 pace, though, but I was doing 150-160 as opposed to the initial 140.

One amazing thing about running that 5:30 pace... after I slowed back down to 9:00 pace, it felt so agonizingly slow that I sped it up to 8:30... then 8:00, then 7:45, then 7:30 and it still felt slow. A 7:30 pace is supposed to be fast for me, but at that moment it actually felt easy. I knew it wouldn't last long, but I was enjoying the feeling so much that I kicked it up to a 6:30 pace and even that felt somewhat comfortable for the three minutes that I held it. So if you want to feel fast for a brief amount of time, run REALLY hard for a couple minutes then run slow for a couple to recover a bit then speed it up and that medium-fast speed will feel relatively easy for a while. I wonder if that's how elite runners feel when they're running 3-hour marathons at a 6:30 pace?

0 comments

Labels