Search this Blog

Followers

About

My photo
Lowell, Michigan, United States
Dogs were born to run. I wasn't, but I do it anyway. :)

Life-Changing Books

posted by Andrew 03 February 2007

"What are five books that changed your life?"

Presented in the order that I read them...

The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss
The very first book I learned to read, and it's still worth reading! I was fascinated by the imagination, the rhyme, the made-up words, and the colors. Very few authors can represent "creativity" the way Dr. Seuss could.

Guide to Field Identification of the Birds of North America by Golden Books
I bought this as a gift for my dad not because he wanted it, but because I wanted it - I was four years old at the time. By kindergarten I had picked a favorite bird on each page and memorized its info (coloring, wingspan, etc.) Birds were the source of my interest in flying. There's now a 2001 edition.

Watership Down by Richard Adams
My dad read this book to me in 3rd or 4th grade, and I've re-read it on my own a few times since. The story is is told from the point of view of some rabbits! The author even created a glossary of rabbit language; our favorite was "hru-du-du" meaning any motor vehicle. This book caused me to wonder if animals have language, feelings, and societies just like we do.

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson
I first read this in 4th or 5th grade and it really struck a chord with me. Maybe I learned that stories can evoke strong emotions? After this book - a Newberry AwardNewberry Medal and Newberry Honor books as possible. They are ALL very good and worth reading, even as an adult.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
A book I read in high school (and again in college) that seemed very emblematic at the time. Despite a darkly negative setting, to me the story was about hope. It was also eerily ironic that before reading this book, I had memorized the entire poem The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe because I enjoyed it so much.

If want to know some good books that I'd recommend besides these five, check out my Bibliophil library!

0 comments

Labels