Search this Blog

Followers

About

My photo
Lowell, Michigan, United States
Dogs were born to run. I wasn't, but I do it anyway. :)

Fireplace Run

posted by Andrew 29 January 2007

It's 16 degrees Fahrenheit. The ground is covered in snow and ice. I'm out here running in it. So why am I thinking that it feels like I'm sitting in front of a cozy fireplace?

Because I just turned around, converting the icy blast of a headwind into a calm breeze at my back!

Today's lunch route had us running 2.5 miles south (into a 15-20 mph wind!) and then turning around to head back north. The first half was just survival - my co-workers and I didn't talk much. Instead they were using me as a blast deflector, running in my draft. I had thick fleece gloves and my hands still got cold. I wore an ear-warmer (those headband things) around my ears and another one around my neck! No, I didn't try to run in my shorts today. One of my co-workers wears glasses and his sweat formed a frozen icicle about an inch long off the bottom of each lens!

When we turned around it was a whole new day. Suddenly we're toasty warm and chatting up a storm, at least until we hit the treacherous drifted-over section of sidewalk. It's only going to get colder in the coming days, but we'll keep running outdoors every MWF. I'll probably do my speedwork on the treadmill for the near future.

But you know what? Today's run was still a lot of fun. I love running in such a variety of conditions - it teaches the legs and the brain a lot of lessons.

0 comments

Labels