Search this Blog

Followers

About

My photo
Lowell, Michigan, United States
Dogs were born to run. I wasn't, but I do it anyway. :)

How to Dogsled in the Summer

posted by Andrew 03 September 2006

This morning I woke up around 6:30am and one of my first thoughts was "Hmm, I feel like going for a run." Despite calling myself a runner I don't usually think such a thought in the morning, probably because I rarely run in the morning.

As I got dressed into my running attire, Haven began watching me intently and then started whining when she realized that I was going running. She convinced me to take her along, and I decided to add foster dog Ella to the mix as well.

Instead of two leashes I used just one, which I clipped to both of their lead-collars - this allowed me a free hand with which to carry water. It was early on a Sunday and for the first 40 minutes of our trip we only saw three cars! We had the road to ourselves and were also treated with a low 50's temperature, clear sky, and some thick fog near the river.

The excited girls tried to push the pace for the first four miles before finally showing some fatigue, but I think they helped pull me along. By the time we got home we had run 6.75 miles in just under an hour, a pretty good pace for me despite an easy effort.

Since Beacon had missed out on the fun, I rewarded him with a 15-minute session of frisbee fetch - long enough for his tongue to drag just as low as the tongues of exhausted Haven and Ella!

0 comments

Labels