Search this Blog

Followers

About

My photo
Lowell, Michigan, United States
Dogs were born to run. I wasn't, but I do it anyway. :)

Running with Dirty Dogs

posted by Andrew 11 August 2006


The barge is towing the tugboats!

Amanda suggested that I take BOTH Haven and Beacon running today to get them nice and tired for tomorrow's 10-hour drive. If you've ever tried to run with two labs attached to one arm, you'll understand why I chose to run on the North Country Trail near my house. Out on the trail, I can let these four-wheel-drive beasts off leash to burn off their energy!

We started out on the street for half a mile but luckily it was uphill, so I took advantage of my two tugboats until we reached the trailhead. The weather was great - sunny and 74 - and the trail was all my own. Some parts were so overgrown with prickers, however, that I had to gingerly tiptoe my way through them. I didn't bring any water for the dogs because there are two streams on this out-and-back course, meaning they'd have water access four times during the 75 minute run.

Alas, the plan didn't pan out. The first stream was mostly black mud, but there was enough water for the pups to wet their tongues. Then at the second stream crossing I was surprised to find it all dried up! The dogs were surprised, too - they kept wandering up and down the streambed looking for the water. I had to take a detour and go off-trail for a 1/4 mile to the Flat River, which is NEVER dry - it's a major river.

At the river the dogs happily jumped into the water to drink and cool off. I gave them five minutes, then we turned around and headed home. Crossing over the last stream of black mud, Beacon decided to put on his commando war paint and plow his head and body through the mud! This yellow lab became a black lab; wisely Haven declined to join in. By now the dogs were worn out and in the final half-mile stretch home I literally had to tow them!

Luckily for the dogs Amanda was waiting for them when we got home with a kiddie pool full of clean, cold water. Of course it was no longer clean the instant Beacon waded in it! We eventually had to hose them off. Needless to say, they've been sleeping ever since! Now it's my turn.


Some worn out dogs!


A closer look at Beacon's dirty fur.

0 comments

Labels