Search this Blog

Followers

About

My photo
Lowell, Michigan, United States
Dogs were born to run. I wasn't, but I do it anyway. :)

Pedal to Work

posted by Andrew 18 June 2006

On Friday I rode my bike to work for the second time. I had done it once before two weeks ago, also on a Friday. If only we lived a bit closer, because I'd certainly commute by bike more often; however, for now I'm planning on riding about once a week every Friday. The shortest route is 14.65 miles, which I followed two weeks ago - it took me one hour. This week I took a slightly longer but less hilly route that added up to 17.15 miles. The reduction in hills must've helped because I arrived at work in 1:05, just five minutes slower than my first trip. For comparison, it takes me about 25 minutes to drive those same routes to work.

Those miles, however, just get me to the main building at work (my company has two buildings about a mile apart). This building has a fitness center, including a locker room and shower stalls so I'm able to wear my bike gear on the ride there, then shower and change into my work clothes. I work in the auxiliary building, which means I then have to ride the one mile down the road, but I take it easy so as to not get all sweaty. On these rides my backpack is fully loaded, including carrying my standard sustenance - breakfast (a half-liter of strawberry Slim Fast) plus lunch (a half-liter of kool-aid, a yogurt, and a double-decker PB&J sandwich).

All told that's a bit less than 1.5 hours if you include the shower stop and riding to the auxiliary building. So far on these days I haven't ridden home. Fridays I like to leave a little early, so instead of biking home Amanda will come to pick me up and we go out for dinner somewhere. This week is was gourmet dining at Wendy's!

0 comments

Labels